The use of slatted walls in decoration is a trend. This wall option can be incorporated into different environments of the residence, such as living rooms, bedrooms, bathrooms and even gourmet areas.
If you’re looking for ways to add style and personality to your property, stay with us! We will explain what a slatted wall is, which woods are commonly used in its structure and how to use this resource in decoration. Check out our ideas and get inspired with different projects!
What is slatted wall?
The slatted wall is a cladding option that uses wooden slats aligned vertically or horizontally, creating a geometric and textured pattern on the surface. It is a decoration trend that offers a modern and sophisticated look to environments, in addition to providing thermal and acoustic insulation. You can also use it in different rooms of the house, such as living rooms, bedrooms, bathrooms and kitchens.
Which wood to use?
There are several wood options that can compose the slatted wall, each of which has different characteristics and shades. Some of the most common ones are:
- pinus: it is a more accessible wood with a lighter tone, and can be used in environments with more relaxed decor.
- cedar: this wood has a reddish tone and is quite resistant, being ideal for environments that need durability and elegance.
- oak: oak is a noble wood, with a striking texture and darker tone, and is widely used in environments with more sophisticated decor.
- cumaru: this wood is very resistant, has dark tones and is ideal for outdoor areas.
How much does it cost?
The cost of a slatted wall can vary greatly depending on several factors, such as the type of wood chosen, the size of the wall and the complexity of the installation. In general, the price per square meter can vary between R$ 200 to R$ 600 for the installation of slatted walls with natural wood.
However, opting for slatted panels in MDF or MDP can be a more economical alternative, with a cost per square meter that can vary between R$ 70 to R$ 200, depending on the model chosen. It is important to remember that these values are just an estimate and may vary according to the location and the professional hired. Therefore, the tip is to make a personalized budget for each project.
Is it possible to make a slatted wall on your own?
Yes, it is possible to make a clapboard wall yourself, but keep in mind that a certain level of carpentry skill and proper tools for the job are required. In addition, good planning and precise measurements are needed to ensure a satisfactory result.
That said, if you’ve decided to make a slatted wall on your own, but don’t know where to start, check out this step-by-step guide that we’ve prepared to help you with this task.
- Choose the type of wood you want, the dimensions and the wall pattern. Measure the area where the slats will be installed and purchase the amount of wood needed.
- Cut the wooden slats to the correct measurements, using a saw (remembering that the ideal is to do this process with a jigsaw). Be careful that all the slats are the same size.
- Sand the wood slats to get an even surface and to avoid any splinters that could injure someone during installation.
- Mark on the wall where each batten will be attached, using a level to ensure the wall is straight.
- Attach the slats to the wall, following the chosen pattern. Use a nail or screw to secure each slat to the wall. It is important to secure the slats to solid support points to prevent them from becoming loose.
- Finish the installation by filling the gaps between the slats with wood putty and sanding again to ensure an even surface.
If you are not comfortable installing the slatted wall, it is recommended to hire a specialized professional to ensure a safe and quality result.
Advantages of having a slatted wall
The slatted wood wall is a versatile and timeless decoration option. If you are in doubt whether or not to opt for this option, check out some of the advantages it can offer for your decor below.
The wooden slat wall is very versatile, combining with different styles of decoration. In addition, you can use it in the natural color of the wood or paint it with the colors that best fit your style.
Despite being currently in high demand, you can invest in wooden slats for walls without fear of getting an outdated style.
Since the wooden slats on the wall harmonize with different types of decoration, you can customize the decorated space, be it rustic, modern, classic, retro or industrial.
Sense of visual magnification
The wooden slat wall is ideal for small environments, as it helps to visually enlarge the space. In this way, when they are installed vertically, the space appears to be more elongated, as if it had a high ceiling. When they are installed horizontally, the space seems longer.
Finally, the slatted wall provides a sense of welcome and visual comfort to the environment.
How to use the slatted wall?
As mentioned earlier, one of the advantages of the slatted wall is its versatility, combining with different materials and decoration styles. This means it can be used in modern, classic, sophisticated, retro, industrial-style spaces and more.
Therefore, you can insert it in different environments of the house, including the office. In the living room, for example, you can even use it as a TV panel , adding special charm to the environment.
For bedrooms, it is interesting to use wooden slats on the wall at the head of the bed, highlighting it in the decor. In the bathroom, you can add it to the countertop wall, but it is important to remember that the wood must be treated properly, due to the humidity in that environment.