Do you have a pool at home and don’t know what are the periodic care to be done? Learn about the main precautions to keep your pool longer.
For those who have a pool at home, the holiday season can last all year round. However, to enjoy the pool with 100% health and fun, you need to be aware of some simple and quick precautions to be carried out.
The main concern is the quality of the water and how to keep it clean for longer, after all, not long ago, several cities and states went through periods of water rationing. So, for the sake of the planet, you can’t waste water, and for that, pool care must be taken seriously and strictly complied with.
Shall we meet them?
1. Cleaning items
Speaking of pool care, we quickly think of cleanliness. To ensure a beautiful pool, have at hand:
– Vacuum cleaner and hose: to remove leaves and any other larger object from the pool;
– Brush: to clean tiles and grout;
– Sieve: usually used to remove leaves and small fallen objects;
– Chlorine: Chlorine is the item most associated with the pool, but the uncontrolled use of the substance can lead to several problems. Be aware that, even though this item is what leaves the water free of bacteria and algae, its indiscriminate use should be avoided as much as possible.
2. Always crystal clear water
Nobody likes to jump into a dirty pool, right? So to make the appearance of your pool always inviting, you need to bet on crystal clear and fresh water. For this, you can take care of the PH of the water. Ideally, according to experts in the field, the pool’s PH should always be between 7.2 and 7.6, neither below nor above that.
There are several test kits to analyze the PH of the water with a plastic container to collect the water sample. The container has two spaces, one for the pool water to be tested and the other for the chemical reagents needed for the analysis.
There are two types of pool reagents, Phenol and Orthotolidine. The two are responsible for the water always remaining clear, even with rain and several pool baths in a row.
However, don’t think that just making the water look clean is all right. The water must be truly clean, as bacteria that transmit diseases such as hepatitis, otitis, mycoses and cholera – among others – can proliferate in the area.
In addition to these reagents, it is necessary to use other items and measurements to keep the pool always up to date.
– Chlorine: used to disinfect water and keep it free of bacteria. Check the pH twice a week, as well as the chlorine levels.
– Hardness: Water hardness refers to the levels of calcium present in the pool. If the pool has too much calcium, the water can become corrosive. Check the water hardness at least twice in each season throughout the year.
– Cyanuric Acid: This chemical serves to protect chlorine from ultraviolet rays, with it the concern is less, it needs checking twice a season of the year.
– Solids: Generally, some solids dissolve in water, such as organic salts – calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium, bicarbonates, sulfates and chlorides. All solids dissolved in water must be analyzed rigorously once a week. If the pool is not used so much, you can arrive once a month.
The ideal amount of these other items in the water is:
– Total alkalinity: 80 – 120 ppm;
– Chlorine: 1.0 – 2.0 ppm;
– Cyanuric acid: 40 – 80 ppm;
– Hardness: 180 – 220 ppm or between 200 – 400, depending on the size of the pool;
– Total dissolved solids: less than 5000 ppm.
Necessary in any pool, the filter prevents impurities from appearing and remaining in place. As all the water passes through it, it needs to be clean too. The filter has an expiration date and must be changed periodically, there are several types of filters, so check the most suitable one for your family before use.
– Sand filters: can be made of metal, fiberglass or concrete. It’s called that because they use a solid layer of sand to filter water and trap debris.
– Cartridge filter: Filtering happens due to a fine surface that traps debris. The impurities are trapped and the removal must be manual. The advantage of this model compared to the previous model is the greater possibility of filtering, which facilitates maintenance and reduces the possibility of clogging. Cartridge replacement must be complete and must occur every three years.
– Diatomaceous earth filters: This type of filter contains porous materials to filter impurities. Installation is simple and replacement should be done twice a year.
4. Maintenance of the environment
It’s no use just cleaning the pool water, the entire surrounding environment needs to be conserved as well. Take care that the floor around it is not dirty, check the pool after a rain, as objects may have been taken into the pool or even left the floor full of sand and earth that can be easily carried away by the wind and the action of rain.
5. Periodic maintenance
Before letting the family enjoy the summer, do pool maintenance. Check for possible leaks, cracks in tiles or floors and even the risk of some electricity conduction.
Avoid accidents so that the fun period does not turn into problems and call a professional to analyze the pool more carefully at least once a year.